About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Life Lesson #3: Of Card-stacking


It was a pretty cool day at KFC, spent talking and card-stacking.




Chow Qing's brother, Darryl stacking a card tower

No, I'm not kidding. Card-stacking in public.




My mini 3-level card pyramid










That was a pretty new experience for me. I always thought that card-stacking was something done by people who had nothing better to do. People who wanted to waste their time making something that would collapse eventually.

Perhaps, for us, we really did have nothing better to do.

But I realised that wasn't the case after I went home and started building a card pyramid myself.

I started off building one on my table. That one was about six levels tall. And it didn't topple.

So I got ambitious and built one on the floor. I was aiming for 7 levels.

There was one problem though - my structure kept collapsing at the 4th level.

After about 4 collapses, my spirits were almost gone. I felt demoralized.

I wanted to just give up.

Luckily, a thought ran through my head. If I gave up now, then it would be a real waste of my time.


So I tried one last time. Once or twice it threatened to collapse again along with what was left of my hopes. As I placed the last two cards on the structure, everything around me just froze.

Right before me was a creation of my own hands. I did it.

At that point, I didn't really know what to do. But I knew I had to get a picture.

My completed structure!

Card-stacking isn't that bad, and it certainly isn't a waste of time.

It taught me that with hope, patience and perseverance, anyone can succeed. :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that is cool,u r awesome XD! May teach me someday ? lol

CQ said...

LOL XD Congrats ! * Hands over virtual certificate to Vivien *

Vivien Tang said...

Chun Ping: Patience is the key haha :)
Chow Qing: *receives certificate and launches into a speech of gratitude* ;)