About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Life Lesson #10 : Grandparents are around!

My grandparents are here again!

It's not often that I get to meet my grandparents, given the fact that they live in our neighbouring country, Indonesia, instead of neighbouring states or cities. Thankfully, when they do visit us, they stay for a longer-than-normal period of vacation time.

I love it when my grandparents are around.

My grandmother is a great cook. She's also quite optimistic in life.

My grandfather has an interesting sense of humour. Plus, he's got green fingers (a skill that was, unfortunately, not inherited by me).

I didn't really talk much to my grandparents until these few years.

But I'm glad I did.

There is an old Chinese saying that states that the old ginger possesses the spiciest flavour.

Of course, there is no denying that this statement has its own flaws. But nonetheless, it has survived the changes of time till this day because there is almost always truth in this saying, for most situations.

Perhaps your grandparents may not be able to teach you how to solve a chemistry question or tell you how cool they think the latest pop song is, they can teach us a lot simply from the way they look at life.

By telling us stories of their lives, by preparing scrumptious traditional dishes or just by simply sitting next to us while watching TV, they show us the value in tradition and value in life.

They teach me to be appreciative, because even if there's nothing to be thankful for, we can at least be grateful for being given a chance to live.

No comments: