About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Saturday 10 November 2012

Life Lesson #17: Age matters (sadly)

I was at the hawkers' this morning having breakfast. After ordering, I sat down and waited patiently for my food.

The problem was, I'd already downed half my cup of iced Milo, and there still wasn't a single bowl of curry mee (which I ordered) in sight.

I thought maybe the guy forgot my order. So I went back to the stall, and reminded him again. He repeated my order precisely, so I assumed that perhaps there was a lot of business.

It was when both my mum and my sister finished their meals that I'd been waiting for a long time.

At first, I didn't want to go to the stall a third time as I felt it would seem impatient and fickle of me. In the end, my mum went to the stall to speak to the owner, and only then did I manage to get my bowl of noodles (which I took to my table).

These kind of things have happened in my life before. And as teens, we all probably know why.

Age matters.

Teens often get overlooked due to the age factor. It is no wonder, then, that many teens crave for the attention and the respect they feel they deserve.

I almost lost it today. Luckily, I used every last bit of self-control to prevent myself from 'scolding' the hawker.

Teens deserve equal rights; even if it's just a bowl of curry mee.

Of course, before all that can be done, we teens also need to show how we deserve respect.

Respect is a two-way thing; everyone deserves it.

Age matters. But only you can decide whether it is fact or fiction.

No comments: