About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Saturday 27 October 2012

Life Lesson #16: What are we reading??

A few weeks ago, something appeared on my desk - that wasn't mine, obviously - which almost gave my friend quote "a cardiac arrest".

We'd been using a different class that day, so I hadn't actually been back to our original class. My friend, who decided to drop by, walked past my desk and was shocked out of breath. (at least, that's what I think happened)

The first thing she said when she saw me? "Do you know what was on your desk? Fifty Shades of Grey!"

I was equally shocked. And for several reasons.

p.s. For those of you who do not know what Fifty Shades of Grey is, it's an erotica book which is TOTALLY UNSUITABLE for teenagers.

1. What is that book doing on my desk? I wouldn't even touch that book in a bookstore.

2. What if people thought that book was mine? What if they assumed that I read books like that? *puke inwardly* (yes, I care about my image. A lot.)

3. Why read a book like that? And why bring it to school?

Undoubtedly, that book took a lot of courage to write and to publish. But it certainly isn't one that should be read by all age groups. Reading should be done consistently, but it certainly shouldn't be done with every type of book there is out there.


Reading is not graded by quantity, but rather, by quality.


Fifty Shades of Grey may have been written to send out a message to society; but at the present point, it's still not fit for teenage reading material.


No comments: