About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Saturday 6 October 2012

Life Lesson #13: Satisfaction

Satisfaction is a very subjective feeling. Everyone has a different perception of it, some of which may seem common, while some may seem anomalous.

For me, satisfaction comes from achievement.

Most achievements give me satisfaction, but there are different stages.

Needless to say, winning gives everyone a sense of satisfaction. It comes from knowing that our hard work has been appreciated and duly awarded. 

The most lasting satisfaction for me is a smile.

This morning, whilst washing my hands at a basin, I saw a grandmother and with her granddaughter. They were using the basin next to me.

The granddaughter was very young, and she hadn't grown tall enough to reach the basin even on her tiptoes. Her grandmother lifted her up with one arm and tried to turn on the tap with the other.

Most taps in public washrooms operate on the "push and release" mechanism - after one push, water flows out for a while and then stops. For most of us, it's still convenient to "push" the tap a few more times to clean our hands properly. But it was more difficult for the grandmother.

With one arm lifting her granddaughter, she struggled to gain her balance. Before she "pushed" the tap a second time, I reached my hand over and kept the tap flowing. There was a soft "thank you" from the grandmother, who regained her breath.

Before the grandmother left, she told her granddaughter to wave goodbye. I didn't expect much, as I'd often find myself waving or smiling at toddlers who returned blank stares.

So when the little girl lifted her hand and waved (and mouthed a 'bye-bye'), it brought a smile to my face as I did the same. That smile stayed in my heart for the entire day.

It was the satisfaction of knowing I'd helped someone that put the smile on my face.

We are taught to be helpful at a young age, but when competition gets in the way, help flies out the window.

Sometimes, we're busy. Other times, we feel awkward to lend a helping hand.

But most times, you'll feel rewarded when you perform a simple gesture of kindness.

People complain that our society is lacking in moral values - so they should do something about it.

A little help goes a long way; when you make it an aim to help a person each day, you're helping to create a better society. 

That, is what satisfaction is.

No comments: