About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Friday 19 October 2012

Life Lesson #15: Forgive and Forget?

Forgiving and forgetting are almost always associated together. It's a reminder to all of us not to hold grudges against other people, to leave our past behind, to move on.

Somehow, I find this piece of advice not as practical as it sounds.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not denying the truth in this saying, nor am I doubting the benefits that forgiving and forgetting can bring us. However, it is really difficult for me to believe that it really is as simple as that.

People forgive, people get over things, but does that mean they've forgotten? Not quite.

When we trip and injure ourselves, we apply ointment. We undergo the healing process, which is slow and painful, but well-worth it when we the scar is barely visible. Some scars don't fade at all.

Even if they do, does it mean that we've forgotten how the injury felt, how it all happened?

When friends say hurtful things unintentionally, they apologize afterwards and we all laugh it off. But the damage is done. No matter how much we want to pretend to be human ostriches, the truth is glaringly obvious. Of course, it may not affect the friendship, but in the long run, it is a mark in our hearts.

An experience with a less-than-pleasant ending may be forgiven and walked past; but when the process repeats itself, who are we to criticize those who hesitate in front of the mirrors of their past?

It's easier said than done. Everyone's got an experience they don't want to relive; so do I.

When we stand before the door of a past experience, do we walk in without hesitation? Do we pause in trepidation? Do we turn back on our heels and flee?

Honestly, I don't know. But I know enough from my past to prevent the mistakes of my future.

I know for a fact that I have chosen to open that door again. But hey, it's a different me, a different outlook and a different approach.

So let's cross our fingers and wish ourselves the best, that we may unravel the knots of our past, and finally move on. 

Scars may remain forever in our hearts; but they can be good ones that don't inflict any harm.


No comments: