About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome! I love to write about basically anything, and so I hope that in the midst of all these words, you can find hope, joy and inspiration!

Thursday 30 May 2013

Life Lesson #25: Vanity

There was a time where the word "vanity" didn't exist in my vocabulary. It was, to me, a taboo that I didn't want to approach or understand. In my young, cooped-up world, vanity was something that wasted time, money and effort - all of which could be spent doing other things that were far more "useful".

And so I became what others would define as a stereotypical nerd - head buried in books, difficulty in socializing with others, no care about appearance whatsoever. Of course, the last part isn't completely true. Though I could not bring myself to accept vanity, I still dressed properly, albeit simply. 

These were from my primary school days, or in other words, pre-teen years.

I'm living the sixth and possibly, last year of my teenage life. During those five and a half years, I've learnt a lot about what vanity means and stands for in actual life.

A lot of girls become vain in their teenage years. The levels of vanity differ from person to person - mild, moderate to excessive. We all know that things in excess (except perhaps vegetables and fruits) are bad; but a moderate amount of vanity is always good and needed.

Years ago, if I'd been asked to talk about the benefits of vanity, I would clam up, because to me vanity was and would always be a negative term. But I've come to realize that being vain comes with its advantages, as long as it isn't overdone.

When I look good, I feel good. Sounds cheesy, but hey, that's how appearances can boost confidence.

Nowadays, I care more about my skin, my hair, my looks and my style, though I'm still a nerd at heart. But who ever said that nerds can't look good and feel good too?

Being vain once in a while doesn't hurt; it helps you to realize that sometimes, you need to care for yourself too.

Being vain isn't everything; but being vain is something.

And to Bobak Ferdowsi, kudos to changing what the world thinks of us nerds!


The one, the only, Mohawk Guy!

 

No comments: